5 Tips for Direct Mail
With the popularity of the internet and social media it’s hard to remember that direct mail is still a valid marketing outlet. The fact remains, direct mail is still successful and widely used today. More than 8 out of 10 households read or scan advertised mail they receive.
Direct mail is also an effective way to gain new customers. More than 39% of customers try a product/service for the first time because of direct mail advertising (DMA). According to the USPS, over 60% of direct mail advertising recipients were influenced to visit a promoted website with the heaviest influence being on first-time shoppers.
The success of a direct mail advertisement is broken down into 3 percentages – 40% is attributed to the targeted mailing list, another 40% is the offer that listed or promoted. Last, 20% of the success is the mail piece design and format. Getting your message in front of the right target audience with an offer they can’t refuse is the key. (amazingmail.com)
In addition to the above, we have found a few other tips that may help your next direct mail campaign:
- 5 Tips for a Successful Direct Mail Campaign:
- Personalization – Create a sense of familiarity, studies show you can increase your response rates by 10-50% with the use of personalization on the advertised mail piece. In addition, combining personalized postcards and personalized landing pages online (PURLs) you can double your response rate. (amazingmail.com)
- Timing – Studies show Monday afternoon is the best time to send a direct mail advertisement. This allows for a delivery of Tuesday or Wednesday and gives sales people the rest of the week for follow-ups. When direct mail pieces arrive later in the week the effort may be lost from a disconnection over the weekend.
- Call to Action (CTA) – Creating a killer (CTA) is vital. If you are not using this marketing practice on your direct mail advertisement you could be missing out on prime opportunities. Reiterating the (CTA) at least three times has proven to be a great practice.
- Wording -Moreover, the wording of your offer matters. Dollars off will outperform a percentage $10 off $100 may outperform 10% off up until you start using a percentage of 50% then that rule switches; Buy One Get One (BOGO) should beat half off. Eliminate restrictions if possible and list an expiration date to express the urgency.
- Uniqueness – With direct mail you have the opportunity to be infinitely creative and make it stand out from the rest. With the use of the phycology of color putting thought into your color pallet can help impact your efforts.
Furthermore, use eye catching photos with a 4-color gloss and a unique cut or size, this can make your postcard stand out. In addition, postcards that are larger are read more often.
Should you be using an envelope for your mail piece oversized envelopes have shown the best response rate. “Lumpy mail” is another way to make your direct mail piece stick out. It makes the mail piece three-dimensional, more official and very intriguing; and of course your recipient will wonder what’s inside. With lumpy mail you could promote your business with swag items that include pens, calendars, notepads, coasters and more.
In conclusion, if you want your direct mail advertisement to stand out you must so something different form the norm. With targeted mailing lists and lettershop services, CAS can partner with you to make your next mailing successful. Call 800-524-0908 today!